King Charles III diagnosed with cancer, Buckingham Palace says

Technology
King Charles leaves hospitalGetty Images

King Charles has been diagnosed with a form of cancer, says Buckingham Palace.

The type of cancer has not been revealed – it is not prostate cancer, but was discovered during his recent treatment for an enlarged prostate.

The King began “regular treatments” on Monday and will postpone public duties during the treatment, the Palace said.

The King, 75, “remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible,” it added.

No further details are being shared on the stage of cancer or a prognosis.

The King informed both his sons personally about his diagnosis and the Prince of Wales was said to be in regular contact with his father.

The Duke of Sussex, Prince Harry, who lives in the United States, spoke to his father and will be travelling to the UK to see him in the coming days.

The King returned to London from Sandringham in Norfolk on Monday morning and the palace says he has commenced treatment as an outpatient.

Although he will pause his public events, the King will continue with his constitutional role as head of state, including paperwork and private meetings.

There is a constitutional mechanism for when the head of state is unable to carry out official duties – in that circumstance “counsellors of state” can be appointed to stand in for the monarch.

At present that includes Queen Camilla, Prince William, the Princess Royal, and Prince Edward. Prince Harry and the Duke of York are no longer called upon as non-working royals.

Prince William had also temporarily withdrawn from public engagements while he helped his wife Catherine, the Princess of Wales, as she recovered from “abdominal surgery”.

But it was announced earlier on Monday he would return to public duties later this week.

This video can not be played

To play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.

The King was seen at a church service in Sandringham on Sunday, where he waved to crowds.

He had a prostate procedure at a private London hospital more than a week ago.

The King had chosen to go public about his prostate treatment, with the aim of encouraging more men to get prostate checks, the Palace said at the time.

He was said to have been delighted to have raised awareness about the issue, with the NHS website reporting a surge in issues about prostate conditions.

For many types of cancer, the chance of getting it increases with age. UK figures suggest, on average each year, more than a third (36%) of new cancer cases were in people aged 75 and over.

​Prime Minister Rishi Sunak wished the King a “full and speedy recovery”, as did Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer and Commons Speaker Sir Lyndsay Hoyle.

Buckingham Palace statement in full

A STATEMENT FROM BUCKINGHAM PALACE

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Speaker under pressure after chaotic Gaza vote
Navalny’s mother says she has been shown his body
American company makes historic Moon landing
Two years into Russia’s invasion, exhausted Ukrainians refuse to give up
Tories suspend MP over ‘Islamists’ comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *